Sometimes after too many nights out, and too many pizzas in, you just need to eat something really healthy. Something to make you feel good about yourself again (because that half a pizza, mozzarella sticks and brownie the size of your face, are still making your stomach turn).
You’re in luck because I have just the dish for you! And guess what? In addition to being healthy, it also tastes so so SO good!!!
Today I'm taking the wholest of whole grains, wheat berries, tossing them with kale, a tangy salsa verde and topping it off with softly scrambled eggs and a sprinkle of cilantro.
It's immensely satisfying and flavorful while also being the healthiest thing you'll have all week. The best part is that it only takes a handful of ingredients to make this nutritious meal happen.
So dig in, because this meal is calling to you whether it's breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Breakfast Bowl with Wheat Berries + Kale
1 cup wheat berries
4.5 cups chicken stock
One 5 ounce hot turkey sausage
10 leaves kale, coarsely chopped
¼ cup salsa Verde, plus more for topping
1 tablespoon butter
4 large eggs
Pinch kosher salt
Pinch ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Place the wheat berries and stock in a medium saucepan; make sure berries are covered by at least 2 inches of liquid. Cover the pan and cook over medium heat until the berries are tender but chewy—25 to 50 minutes (the time depends on the character of the berries, so check often after 25 minutes or look at your package instructions). If necessary drain the wheat berries of any excess liquid.
- While the wheat berries cook, prepare the sausage. Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Remove the sausage from its casing and crumble it into the heated skillet; cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until cooked through—3 to 5 minutes. Set aside.
- When the wheat berries are done cooking add the sausage, kale, and salsa to the saucepan and stir to combine; turn heat to low and cover. Add salt if necessary.
- Melt the butter in a medium non-stick skillet over medium low heat. Whisk the eggs, salt and pepper in a medium bowl until scrambled. Add the eggs to the skillet and stir constantly until softly scrambled. To serve, divide the wheat berries and kale mixture evenly among 2 bowls top with the eggs, a drizzle of salsa and the cilantro, serve immediately.
Keep it Simple:
- Wheat berries can be easily replaced with farro or barley. Or go in a different direction and cook up some rice, wild rice, quinoa or couscous
- I like using a salsa verde or green salsa in this recipe for a slightly unique flavor, but whatever your favorite salsa is will work just fine. You may need more or less depending on the heat level and intensity of the flavor in the brand you use.
- Cook up your eggs any way you like
- You can use water instead of the chicken stock; just make sure to add an extra pinch of salt to the wheat berries.
- If you’re a cilantro hater, you can try parsley or scallions instead.
50/50: To keep a portion vegetarian, cook up the sausage and leave it on low in the pan until you’re ready to assemble, then add the sausage on top of the portions you want to make meaty. The eggs along with the protein and fiber packed wheat berries will make a super satisfying meal for any vegetarian or person looking to go meatless.