In my book, Meat On The Side, I put cabbage on your nachos...
And now I’m putting eggs on them...
You got a problem with that?!
You think you’re not a big breakfast person?
Eggs are nothing special?
Well, when you bite into a salty tortilla chip topped with velvety eggs, gooey cheese, spiced beef, and veggies, you're going to think twice about saying anything bad about breakfast or eggs ever again!
Of course you don’t have to have them for breakfast...
Most of the time I'm a little lazy in the AM hours, so I make these Breakfast Nachos for dinner.
And whether you have them for breakfast, lunch, or dinner—or as a game day snack—once you bite into these nachos, you're not going to want your eggs any other way!
Breakfast Nachos with Eggs, Cheese + Beef
- 15 tortilla chips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ pound ground sirloin beef
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ green pepper, very finely chopped (about ½ cup)
- ½ small yellow onion, very finely chopped (about ½ cup)
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- hot sauce
- pickled jalapenos
- Preheat the broiler to high, if you have that option. Arrange the tortilla chips in a single layer on a large oven-safe serving dish.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sirloin, ¼ teaspoon of the salt, and the chili powder, breaking up the beef with a spoon or spatula and cooking until it is browned—about 3 minutes. Transfer the beef to a paper towel to drain and leave the pan on the heat.
- Add the green pepper, onion, ¼ teaspoon of the salt, and ⅛ teaspoon of the ground black pepper to the pan and cook until the green pepper is tender—about 3 minutes. Add the beef back to the pan and keep the veggie and beef mixture on low heat while you assemble the nachos.
- Heat the butter in a small non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, the remaining ¼ teaspoon of the salt and the remaining ⅛ teaspoon of the pepper until the mixture is scrambled. Then add the egg mixture to the skillet with the beef and stir constantly until the eggs are softly scrambled.
- Spread the scrambled eggs over the chips, then top with the beef and veggie mixture. Sprinkle the cheddar evenly over the top, then broil the nachos until the cheese is melted and bubbly—3 to 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately topped with the cilantro, hot sauce, and pickled jalapenos.