First, in my book Meat On The Side, I put cabbage on your nachos.
Now, I’m putting eggs on them, you got a problem with that?
What? You think you’re not a big breakfast person? Eggs are nothing special?
Well, when you bite into a salty tortilla chip topped with velvety eggs, gooey cheese, spiced beef and veggies, you are going to think twice about saying anything bad about breakfast and eggs ever again.
Of course you don’t have to have them for breakfast, most of the time I eat these Breakfast Nachos for dinner as I tend to be a bit too lazy in the am hours.
But whether you have them for breakfast, lunch or dinner, or as a game day snack, you are not going to want to have your eggs any other way!
15 tortilla chips
1 tablespoon olive oil
¼ pound ground sirloin
½ + ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon chili powder
½ yellow pepper, very finely chopped (about ½ cup)
½ small yellow onion, very finely chopped (about ½ cup)
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
4 large eggs
½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, 2 ounces
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1. Arrange the tortilla chips in a single layer on a large oven-safe serving dish.
2. Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sirloin, ¼ teaspoon of the salt, and the chili powder, breaking up with a spoon or spatula, and cook until it is brown—about 3 minutes. Transfer the beef to a paper towel to drain and leave the pan on the heat.
3. Add the green peppers, onions, ¼ teaspoon of the salt and pepper to the pan and cook until tender—about 3 minutes. Add the beef back to the pan and keep the veggie and beef mixture on low while you assemble the nachos.
4. Heat a small non-stick skillet over medium low heat with the butter. Whisk the eggs, ¼ teaspoon salt and ⅛ teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl until scrambled. Add eggs to the skillet and stir constantly until softly scrambled.
5. Spread the scrambled eggs over the chips, top with the beef and veggies, and then sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top. Broil the nachos until the cheese is melted and bubbly, 3 – 5 minutes. Serve right away topped with hot sauce, pickled jalapenos and cilantro.