Does anyone really want to eat their broccoli steamed?
Sitting there, waterlogged and sad on the side on the plate?
I don’t know about you, but broccoli tater tots seem like a MUCH more exciting way to eat this green veggie!
Sure, these tots take a minute or so longer than steaming up some florets, but I’ve streamlined the process for you.
And they're the perfect food to store in the freezer, so yes, you can have tots ANYTIME!
To make them, just mix together finely chopped broccoli (stems and all!), throw in some eggs, seasonings, a touch of cheese and flour...
Form them into whatever shapes you like and let them roll around in a flurry of panko and crushed tortilla chips...
Then bake them up into crunchy perfection!
You'll never look at broccoli the same way!
Broccoli Tater Tots
servings: 36 tater tots
- ¾ cup crushed yellow corn tortilla chips
- ¾ cup plain panko bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 large bunch broccoli (about 1½ pounds), entire stem + florets coarsely chopped + rinsed
- ¾ cup grated parmesan cheese (about 3½ ounces)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Add the corn chips to the food processor and pulse until the chip pieces are close to the size of panko breadcrumbs (this should make about 1 cup). If you don’t have a food processor you can also place the chips in a Ziploc bag and smash them with a pan or rolling pin. Then transfer the corn chip pieces to a medium-sized bowl along with the panko and paprika and mix these ingredients well.
- Clean the bowl of the food processor, then place the broccoli inside and pulse until it is coarse and grain-like in texture (you should have about 4 cups of this broccoli “rice”).
- Transfer the broccoli to a large bowl with the parmesan, flour, eggs, salt, garlic powder, and pepper and mix together to combine.
- Using your hands, roll the broccoli mixture and pack it tightly by the tablespoon into tater tot (or other desired) shapes approximately 1 inch wide and 2 inches long. Roll each tot in the corn chip breading mixture, reshaping afterwards if necessary.
- Place the formed broccoli tots on a nonstick baking pan or a pan lined with parchment paper. Spray the tots lightly with nonstick olive oil spray and bake them until browned—about 20 minutes.
- Freezer Instructions: Place cooked and cooled tots on a baking sheet or plate in a single layer. Let freeze completely; once frozen place them in a plastic food storage bag. To reheat, place in a 425°F oven on a baking sheet and cook for 10 minutes