So great being on The Wendy Williams Show today! Check out the clip--and the recipe!--for my Spicy Brussels Sprout + Lentil Soup.
Spicy Lentil + Brussels Sprout Soup
servings: 4 Makes about 8 cups of soup
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ cups yellow onion (1 medium onion), finely chopped
- 1 cup red pepper (1 large pepper), finely chopped
- 1 cup carrots (about 3 medium carrots), finely chopped
- 1 cup celery (2 stalks of celery), finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ½ teaspoons kosher salt *check
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 cups veggie or chicken stock
- 1 ½ cups brown or green lentils
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts (7-9 large Brussels sprouts), shredded (2.5 cups packed)
- 1 ½ tablespoons chipotle peppers in adobo sauce*
- 1 avocado, pitted + chopped into ¼- to ½-inch dice
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat, and add the onion, peppers, carrots, celery, garlic, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and the pepper. Cook this mixture until the veggies are tender—about 7 minutes.
- Then add the stock, lentils, 1 ½ cup packed shredded Brussels Sprout, chipotles, and another 1 teaspoon of salt to the pot and bring to a simmer. Cook 35-40minutes until the lentils are al dente. Taste soup and add salt if necessary and more stock or water if soup is too thick
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, toss the remaining 1 cup of Brussels sprouts, the avocado, lime juice, and remaining ½ teaspoon of salt together until well combined.
- To serve, divide the soup into serving bowls and top it with the Brussels sprout mixture from Step 4 and some cilantro.
- Puree or finely chop the entire can of chipotles in adobo and use 1.5 tablespoons for this recipe. Store the remaining in the bottom of a Ziploc bag in the freezer and cut of tablespoon amounts as needed.