I've been on a kick lately--changing up classic dishes by adding more veggies to them.
You know, making them much more "Meat On the Side"-esque.
But when I started messing with one of the most classic lunch foods ever--peanut butter and jelly (PB + J), no one liked it...at ALL!
I posted a pic of my PB + J + P + C a little while back on social media and let's just say you guys had something (not too pretty) to say about it.
Many of you were unsure about this twist on the classic, while others were simply offended that I messed with a beloved childhood staple.
But let me explain!
I understand that PB + J is great just the way it is, but try it my way and you might just like it even better.
Yes, I said it--EVEN BETTER!
The original is missing a certain crunch factor, and even a tangy jam can't always cut through the richness of the peanut butter.
By adding cucumber and pomegranate seeds you get all the crunch you could ask for--along with a hit of acidity from the pomegranate seeds, which plays delightfully well with the peanut butter and jam.
I tested many different versions of this sandwich, and I'm telling you that you owe it to yourself to give this a whirl!
And if you hate it, well, don’t fear, your faithful old PB + J will still be there waiting for you.
PB + J + P + C (Peanut Butter + Jelly + Pomegranate + Cucumber)
servings: 2 Sandwiches
- 1 small cucumber, cut into twelve ⅛-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 slices white bread
- 4 tablespoons peanut butter
- 4 tablespoons blackberry jam
- 4 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- 2 cups lightly packed spring mix lettuce or baby greens
- Place the cucumber slices, vinegar and salt in a small bowl, and stir to combine (you can also mix these ingredients in a sealed plastic food storage bag). They should marinate for at least 3-5 minutes.
- Spread the peanut butter equally on two slices of the bread, and spread the jam evenly on the remaining two slices of bread.
- Top the peanut butter slices of bread with the pomegranate seeds and top the jam slices of bread with the spring mix lettuce.
- Remove the cucumbers from the vinegar and place them on top of the spring mix lettuce. Finally, place the peanut butter slices on top of the jam slices to sandwich everything together. Cut and enjoy!