At 10 years old my mom had had enough of my shenanigans.
I was the pickiest of picky eaters and this picky eater never went down without a fight.
So she gave up, and I was allowed to make my own dinners, whatever my little heart desired.
Well, both my heart and stomach were ramen noodle addicts.
Let's face it, whether you spend $.10 or $10, ramen is salty, flavorful and delicious.
As I am still a ramen noodle fanatic I started wondering if I could do more with these chewy noodles.
Behold, the ramen taco was born.
Crunchy corn tortilla, soft ramen noodles mixed with turkey and chilies and everything topped with a fresh and bright salsa.
If you think this sounds weird...well...you're weird! Because this is delicious!!
Makes 6 tacos
Total time: About 20 minutes
1 teaspoon olive oil
4 oz. dark ground turkey meat
½ teaspoon Kosher salt
1 onion, chopped
1 – 4.5 oz. can of green chiles
1 ½ teaspoon ramen noodles seasoning pack (from 1 package)
1 teaspoon ancho chile powder
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
1 cup water
4 oz. ramen noodles (1 package)
6 crispy corn taco shells or iceberg lettuce leaves
1 oz. queso fresco, crumbled
Pico De Gallo:
5 oz. tomatoes, roughly chopped (2/3 cup)
3 tablespoon diced white onion
1/8 teaspoon Kosher salt
Pinch of cracked black pepper
1 lime, cut in half, one half juiced for the salsa and the other half cut into wedges for garnish for tacos
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add ground turkey and ¼ tsp. of salt. Cook until meat is no longer pink, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in onion and green chiles and cook until onion is soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add ramen seasoning, chile powder, paprika, and remaining ¼ tsp salt. Stir to incorporate, then add water and noodles. Cook, stirring frequently, until noodles are soft and most of the water has evaporated, about 5-8 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Heat corn shells in oven until crispy, about 2 minutes.
- Assemble the tacos: take one corn shell or lettuce leaf, add ½ cup of ramen filling, 1 tbsp. of pico de gallo, and 1 tsp. of queso fresco. Serve with lime wedges.
Pico De Gallo:
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and stir to combine. Let sit at least 15 minutes to allow flavors to come together.