Christmas is by far my favorite time of year.
Around Christmastime I’ll never complain about the cold and the snow.
The snow is the perfect backdrop to sparkling lights!
Christmas is sneaking up on us quickly, so I'd say it's time for some Christmas-themed pasta to warm our bellies on these cold nights.
The red sauce is simple but deeply "tomato-y"--and only takes minutes to make.
It starts with slowly simmering tangy olive oil and garlic until their flavors fuse together...
...And ends with tomato paste and canned tomatoes for a rich, but bright flavor.
And because we all know that you can't have the red without the green at Christmastime, we'll also whip up a green sauce with a Basil Pesto base.
To the traditional pesto, we'll add avocado and lemon--creating a creamy and colorful sauce that's the perfect counterpart.
Each is good on its own, but together they're incredible!
servings: 6 Servings
- 1 pound rotini pasta
- ¼ cup olive oil + a splash
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- One 14.5-ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 avocado
- ½ cup Basil Pesto
- Juice of half a lemon
- ¼ cup toasted breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Place a large pot of salted water over high heat for cooking the pasta. When the water boils, add the pasta and cook until al dente according to the package directions—or about 10 minutes. Then drain, toss with a splash of olive oil to keep the noodles from sticking together, and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, add the ¼ cup of olive oil and the garlic and cook until the oil has become infused with the garlic and the garlic is translucent and golden, but not browned—about 10 minutes. Add the tomato paste and stir to combine. Then add the diced tomatoes, salt, and chili flakes. Simmer the sauce until it thickens slightly and comes together— about 10 minutes.
- While the tomato sauce simmers, cut the avocado in half, remove the pit, and use a soupspoon to scoop half of the flesh into the bowl of a food processor (reserve the other half for another use). Then add the Basil Pesto and lemon juice and puree this mixture until smooth.
- Transfer the basil mixture to a large bowl and toss it with half of the pasta. Toss the other half of the pasta in a separate bowl with the tomato sauce. To serve, place both the green and red pasta on each plate and sprinkle with the breadcrumbs and parsley.