Sure, you could have regular old garlic bread.
Yes, it is warm, garlicky, and of course, buttery.
But why not throw some creamed spinach into the mix, creating a garlic bread with a creamy, spicy base that also gives you a Popeye’s dose of spinach?!
Everyone loves creamed spinach, but when you layer creamed spinach on crunchy bread, add a kick of garlic and smother the top in cheese, you will not just be in love, you will be obsessed.
And that's okay, because this recipe is easy, and best of all, you can say you had your greens today!
Granted, your greens were smothered in cheese and garlic, but hey, it's still spinach!
I'm not going to take that away from you.
Creamed Spinach Garlic Bread
makes 8-10 piece of garlic bread
½ sourdough loaf, approx. 5by10inches
1 teaspoon olive oil
4 cloves of garlic, sliced
5 oz. baby spinach, about 5 cups loosely packed
1 ½ oz. shredded Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons cream
½ teaspoons Kosher salt
Cracked black pepper
1/8 teaspoons nutmeg
2 oz. mozzarella, shredded
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Slice sourdough open lengthwise and set aside.
- In a medium pan over medium heat, add the oil and garlic and cook until garlic is fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add spinach to garlic and cook until wilted, about 3 minutes more.
- Add shredded Parmesan and cream to the spinach and cook until cheese has melted, about 3 minutes. Once cheese is melted add the salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Remove spinach mixture from heat. Top the cut side of the bread with spinach mixture, then the shredded mozzarella, and finally the red pepper flakes. Broil on high for 3-7 minutes, until cheese is melted and slightly brown.