Mashed potatoes are wonderful, am I right?!
But when you’re looking for a healthier, more nutritious option—let’s talk about mashed cauliflower!
These days, it's not uncommon to have a Thanksgiving Day guest who steers clear of gluten.
And even if you don't, we all want to cook up something that will have everyone at the Thanksgiving table seriously wanting—maybe even needing—to go back for seconds.
It just so happens that you can serve your gluten-free friends and get everyone and their brother excited about the same fabulous food. I’m talking about a mouth-watering, velvety, cheesy side dish…
And not only is this dish healthy and incredibly delicious, but super simple!
Start by steaming up a little cauliflower and garlic…
Puree it with some cream cheese, Parmesan, and chives…
And you'll find your result is the creamiest, most flavorful side dish.
It’s definitely worthy of a place next to (or in place of!) your traditional mashed potatoes.
Garlic + Parmesan Mashed Cauliflower
makes: 3 cups
- 1 medium head cauliflower (2 pounds), broken or cut into bite-size florets
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- Add the cauliflower and garlic to a large pot and fill it with just enough water so that the vegetables are covered. Simmer until the veggies are tender—about 10 minutes, then drain.
- Next, place the cauliflower and garlic mixture in the bowl of a food processor. Add the cream cheese, parmesan, salt, and pepper, and pulse until the mixture is smooth, but with some small lumps. When you are finished, it should look similar to mashed potatoes.
- Add the chives to the mixture in the food processor and pulse only a few times—just to combine. Then remove the cauliflower mash from the food processor, place in your favorite serving dish, and enjoy!